17 June 2006

Oh Baby Yeah, Don't Stop


What is it about film/BBC adaptations of Jane Austen novels that rubs so gently yet effectively against the clitoris of my emotional vagina? I like a good period film (as in era, not cycle) plenty, but something about Jane Austen movies just does me in (except Emma, but for that I blame the well-bred high-strung filly that is Gwyneth Paltrow).

Perhaps it can be related to the utter simplicity of the stories. Take girl who is allegedly bereft with regard to financial situation (yet, poor as they are purported to be, still have servants) + rich man, throw in a few complications, then (of course) end with all well & love conquering. The beloved sister experiencing parallel travails is optional. All any of the characters has to worry about is love. The "poor" aspect never really affects anything, except to perhaps throw a minor wrench in the middle of the movie. Hey, if all I had to do all day was giggle, wander about & fall in love, I'd be a happy camper. There is something so simplistic yet endearing at work here. Although I know some people really don't care for Austen, I don't see what the issue is, so long as you don't take it too seriously. They're like well-written & well-executed Harlequin romance novels. Naturally, every one makes me cry as the fingers slowly move from clit to vaginal penetration. Not exactly high-school-curriculum worthy, but definitely valuable as comfort food.

The most recent adaptation, 2005's Pride & Prejudice, I find myself unable to judge for the above captioned reasons. It seemed a little over-directed - but I can't fault Joe Wright for wanting to provide a fresh take. I liked the window theme. However, the director of photography seems to have fallen prey to the John Toll school of cinematography - 2/3 of the movie is drenched in those warm "golden afternoon" i.e. yellow filter tones. Seriously, people. Blech.

Whatever. As long as they keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em.

(Note: I don't generally care much for Keira Knightley (a bit too bony for me), but if she continues making movies where she smiles & laughs as much as she does in this one, I'll be forced to revise my opinion. She's irresistible doing either. Oh & I'm sorry - while Matthew Macfayden suffices as Darcy, he can't even touch Colin Firth...but (sigh) who can? Firth owns Darcy.)

No comments: