10 June 2006

ä-n&-"mä-t&-'pE-&, -"ma

onomatopoeia


hee hee! What a great word. It's almost hard for me to believe its validity, let alone that it has such an amazing yet appropriately hazy correspondence betwixt actual word & definition.

Also, for a good time go to Merriam-Webster & have fun putting together audio pronounciations of various words (hint: making M-W say "ass fiesta" is mightily amusing.)

Having said that, I am willing to accept that the online-dictionary-as-good-time concept might be unique to me. There was a vicious rumor when I was in 7th grade that I read the dictionary for fun (couldn't I just have been a slut like everyone else?). Not true! though I cannot deny I would occasionally open my Webster's Unabridged Dictionary to a random page, just to learn a new word.

But that is NOT the same as "reading" the dictionary FOR FUN.

No comments: