26 September 2007

When Research Goes Bad

So my friend Heather & I are booking through Seasons 2 & 3 of "The Office" in an attempt to catch up to Season 4 (no, not by this Thursday. We're gonna have someone Tivo the season premiere for us. Hopefully, though by next Thursday we'll be caught up). I haven't seen Season 1, but I've been told that it's not that great. Season 2 is fucking hilarious, though.

Anyway, the point is, I really like Jim. I think he's appealing. I'd say he's cute. I like sarcasm & self-deprecation, what can I say? So I looked up the actor who plays him, John Krasinski. And I kind of wish I hadn't, for the following reasons:

  1. He's a whole year younger than me! I'm officially old.
  2. When did People magazine go all Afterellen.com on me & actually get something right? I feel dirty. And common.
  3. He wrote & directed a film adaptation of David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. Which I didn't read. Because I thought Wallace's debut, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, was basically a full-length book version of the badly written, thinly disguised autobiographical "fiction" that proliferates every Intro to Short Story Writing class on every college campus in America. Ew, John. Are you really a crybaby wanker?
  4. Um, apparently, yes. At least, judging from the fact that his Wallace adaptation features Mr. Death Cab for Cutie himself in his first acting role. DOUBLE EW. Is it even possible to be more emo than that?
I'm going to work really hard at forgetting that I learned all this stuff. Because I'd like to continue to enjoy my little crush. I hope I've learned a lesson from this.

EDIT: OMG, I've gotten my pretentious Dav-s all mixed up! Whoopsy. Dave Eggers is the man responsible for the awful heartbreak book. David Foster Wallace is the guy who wrote that huge-ass book, Infinite Jest, with the footnotes for days. I thoroughly enjoyed those 30 pages of it I read 10 years ago, & hope to finish it before I'm 80.

EDIT CONT'D: My own idiocy notwithstanding, Mr. Krasinski is still not absolved - Ben Gibbard is in his movie. Even if the Postal Service makes music that I wish I'd had on cassette when I was 12, that doesn't excuse the whole Death Cab thing.

5 comments:

Aunt Agatha said...

I agree with you. It's much better not to know anything about celebrity crushes. I learned my lesson when I found out that Adam Ant 1)actually wore a porkpie hat, 2)punched someone over it in a fit of manic depression and 3)had sex with Heather Graham. I can no longer crush on him the same way again. Much better to admire them from afar via yummy pictures.

He is cute, but I just can't get past Martin Freeman. Is that sad?

Aunt Agatha said...

Oh, and please. What is he, like 27 or something? At least he's not adolescent, right? *shakes head sadly*

April said...

Ew, Heather Graham? Does this mean that Adam Ant has touched peens with one of the Coreys? Because you know one of them hit that during the License to Drive era.

I think Martin Freeman is totally appealing, in a similar way. I watched like two episodes of the BBC "Office" - it was good, but sometimes uncomfortable in a painful way. It's kind of keeping me from watching more of it.

And yes, John Krasinski is 27. He'll be 28 on Oct 20, making him technically more than a year younger. It's not that he's so much younger - it's just being at an age where famous people start being younger than you. Eh. Whatever.

mandy said...

ha ha ha; this is great. So John Krasinski (well, let's be honest: "Jim Halpert") is my celebrity-who-could-maybe-be-accessible-in-real-life -in-another-universe crush. As opposed to say, um, somebody like Gael Garcia Bernal. I actually consider Martin Freeman to be just beyond that maybe accessible factor: I'd say he is "hotter" than Krasinski, but "Jim" is more my type.

Also, I am obsessed with Greg Daniels' American adaptation of The Office. I love both versions, but the American version has definitely become its own.

I don't know why I love this fact, but I do: the woman who plays "Karen Phillipelli" is Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton. I think it's because she's so ridiculously good looking.

One more: Ben Gibbard's involvement with The Postal Service negates that Death Cab business, except, I actually like some of the DC tracks. ::commence beating:: But yes: dumbest band name ever.

April said...

I feel badly about this, because her character has done nothing to deserve it (except possibly that weird "pretending to drink while dumping the shots in the trash thing" in Stamford), but I really hate Karen. I know it's just because of the Jim & Pam situation, which frankly is ALL PAM'S FAULT anyway, which gives me even less reason to hate Karen. But still.

However, I will agree that the actress is hot. And I didn't realize that she is the progeny of Quincy Jones & Peggy Lipton, which is even better.