19 September 2007

M.I.A.'s New Album

So apparently M.I.A.'s latest effort, Kala, is "critically acclaimed". I don't know for sure, as I've got better things to do than read music reviews. Like read film reviews. And lick the bones of the internets looking for nuggets of writing on Bad Timing. (Heh. I'm obsessed with a film about obsession. How very meta.)

I've only listened to it one & a half times, so obviously I can't reach a final verdict. But so far? My reaction has been, "Meh". As in, it's not really grabbing me. Whatever. I mean, I'm not one of those people whose dismissal of a "hot" "new" "artist's" sophomore effort can be considered de rigeur. But this just ain't doing it for me.

I actually wanted to turn it off halfway through so I could play the new Go! Team instead.

I actually did turn it off during the final track, which seemed particularly awful. This morning, I figured I'd listen to it on my commute. Maybe it just wasn't a good soundtrack for running around the house preparing for the imminent doubling of my household (plus a bunny).

But it didn't really go any better on the way in. Except that one of the few songs I did like right off the bat, "Jimmy", sounded more gimmicky than good. And then, see, I just got the new Felix Da Housecat album, with its luxuriantly ridiculous title Virgo Blaktro & the Movie Disco. Sorry, M.I.A. I may be slightly frightened of ruining Felix's album title by listening to it, but you know what? In the Virgo Blaktro vs. Kala debate, the latter loses. It's going straight back into its case. Felix is taking me home.

No comments: