14 September 2007

Across the Universe

I've never been a especially big fan of the Beatles (I come down on the side of the Stones). And I've yet to successfully sit down & watch an entire film by Julie Taymor (though I thoroughly enjoyed the bits of Titus that I saw).

However. My love of musicals is no secret. Well, not modern cinema's equivalent of such, which I generally find obnoxious & lacking the whimsy essential to any musical, however dour, dark or bleak its denouement (Chicago is the best of the revival). Give me Busby! Give me The Umbrellas of Cherbourg! Give me My Fair Lad
y!

So, my *heart*-ing of musicals in tandem with my absolute passion for pretty pictures, makes me very intrigued about Across the Universe, Ms. Taymor's musical set in the 1960s, soundtracked exclusively by the Beatles catalog. I mean, really:



Such promise. These pictures are so awesome I'm almost afraid to see the actual film.

No comments: