06 September 2007

All Autumnal

FOOTBALL! FOOTBALL STARTS TODAY! FFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTBALL!

I'm excited. My team is playing the New Orleans Saints. God, how I've missed Marvin Harrison's mustache.

EDIT: Here's what I'd learned by the conclusion of last night's game:

  1. My secret fears that I might have stopped liking football in the off-season were unfounded. I'm as loud & belligerent as ever. Last night in particular involved a whole lotta yelling about "ass-munchers". In fact, I found myself contemplating whether I shouldn't try to get some channels on my TV at home so I can watch more games. (So not doing it, though.)
  2. Enormous Superbowl ring effigies are TOTALLY lame.
  3. John Mellencamp is scary-looking! And I can't believe he's still singing that small town song.
  4. I think Tony Dungy saw a dermatologist during the break. Also, I was surprised that they only mentioned the fact that he's the first black coach to win the Superbowl like once the whole night.
  5. "He's a tight end in name only - he can really flex his muscles." Heh. Oh, John Madden, how could I forget that you are a wondrous source of unwittingly dirty bon mots?
  6. Dude! The Colts' defense wasn't a post-season fluke! They ROCKED. Sadly, though I egged him on the whole game, Dwight Freeney never quite managed to "officially" sack Drew Brees, the New Orleans QB. (I know. I'm evil for rooting against the Saints. A downtrodden & devastated city's sole source of hope, etc. But I really just wanted to see a sack, & obviously I couldn't yell for the Saints to sack Manning.)
  7. I forgot a lot of technical stuff. Like what a "blitz" is. Or what a "left tackle" does, though I remember that it's a really important position. At least my fondness for the concept of "special teams" continues unabated. Also, I still can't manage to watch the entire field; my eyes will always just follow the ball, so I miss all the cool stuff that the other guys do, unless the announcers do a replay & describe what happened.
  8. But other than that, I discovered that I could easily be an announcer. They pretty much said all the same stuff I was saying (i.e., that the Colts' defense got appreciably better once Bob Sanders recovered from last year's regular season-killing injury. That it's really scary to have Joseph Addai as their only "real" RB.) Stealing my lines, the filthy bastards.
  9. Sometimes I don't like that I have a "team". I get way too involved, not to a dangerous extent - I mean, it's not gonna ruin my whole day if the Colts lose - but still.
  10. I know now what it feels like to piss girls off because I wanna watch the game.
  11. Marvin's still got the mustache. I think I might die a little inside if he ever shaved it off.

No comments: