28 September 2007

Furniture Madness!

(1) I bought a couch! I bought a couch! It's perfect for my space. Ridiculously perfect. I will take my own pictures of it soon, but in the interim here's one my friend took:


The futon will ultimately go upstairs. I'm thinking I'll put it in the record room & use it as a guest bed.

(2) I have decided the time is nigh. I am tired of talking about getting a real bed. I am going to actually get one. However, I am very torn between these two IKEA options:

Noresund. This is the one which I've always
said I was going to get. I like swirlies. I really like this frame. And it's super-cheap.
BUT, I've recently been lusting after the Hemnes frame, because I think I've secretly always wanted a four poster bed:
Currently I'm leaning toward the Hemnes frame. There is a pro. There are two cons.

Pro: Four poster bed! I am super-excited by the idea of having "curtains" on my bed (don't know the technical term). Also, there is no heat in the main loft space, so I'm thinking that if I get some decently thick but still sexy coverings (including top), it will help keep heat in. Maybe? Am I a crackhead?

Con: Ugh. Light wood. Just not my style, I guess. The bitch is, this frame is stained solid pine with a clear polyester lacquer. Now, I know it's not impossible to repaint or stain it another color. But I also know it'd involve a lot of sanding, priming & painting or staining. Then again, the futon will be up there & that is a similar wood/stain. Could I learn to love light-colored woods?

Con 2: Take away the poster thingies, & that is one boring-ass frame.

Any advice?

2 comments:

mandy said...

Your couch is gorgeous!! I think the 4-poster bed is a bit more interesting, but I also hate the natural wood color (and it sounds like it could maybe not be worth it to sand/prime/repaint/stain. You could spice it up with drapery, though. ::shrugs:: You are reminding me that I need to stop being lazy and buy a real bed.

Aunt Agatha said...

I agree that the light wood is a bit meh, but as Mandy pointed out, there is the drapery option. More opportunity for shiny! Plus, isn't a four poster bed much more appropriate for the leather straps?