30 March 2007

Revel In The Purple

After an extremely questionable first half of the evening, I managed to put as many finishing touches on my kitchen as were at my disposal. My lingering question is this:


Why do I need to bother with that silly plastic thing (I believe it is called a "molly screw")? I have never used one before. I had to ask somebody what it was & what I
was supposed to do with it. And I still only managed to get one in, & just used the screws alone for the rest. (This is why I still haven't hung pictures up in my living room. I've never hung a picture in my life, unless you count thumbtacks & posters. I have all this stuff that you can use to hang a picture, & no clue how any of it works.) Helpless female, much?

Anyway. Here's before:


Ew. Clearly, the color is hideous. What may not be so clear is that in the top right of the picture, there's a black pot rack on which I never successfully managed
to hang more than four kitchenware items. Which the previous painters did not bother moving prior to painting. So it is generously splattered with "pink". Little matter, as I'm not reinstalling it. Additionally, & you can see the top of it here, the previous painters did not bother to paint behind the stove. So it looked...disgusting. You could still see the red brick wallpaper some idiot had installed years ago.

And now? Voila!


While I fear the shades of purple are actually too cold to flow well with the green of my living room, & also that they are too dark to suit the small space, it's PURPLE!!! And I think actually it would be impossible to make the kitchen look smaller even if I had painted it black with black trim. Overall I am quite pleased. It glows in daytime, it's the darnedest thing. (And yes, I know. The walls are crap. They are old & muchly painted. I constantly run into the dilemma of wanting my apartment to look perfect vs. the fact that I am only renting & the question of whether I really want to put that much effort into it. It tends to end as a tie; ergo, I spackle cracks, repair holes (actually had staples come out of a hole in ceiling, oddly enough) & paint walls & ceilings but generally feel disinclined to go beyond these measures.)

But anyway, who can complain with kitchen protectors like these:

From left: Marty Mushroom, Spike & the Unknown Pony. They keep a lookout for malfeasance & evil-doers & they live on frumenty & mince pie.

Next up: the WC & the bathroom.

No comments: