28 March 2007

A Place Both Wonderful & Strange

Finally, finally, at long last, yes that's right, Season 2 of "Twin Peaks" is being released on DVD. The moment we've all been waiting for ever since Season 1 came out lo! these many years ago (2001, to be exact). 3 April, baby! All the meticulous Googling over the years & I totally spaced it. Thanks to Gabe & Cristine for the heads-up.

I've read some grumbling regarding the packaging & extras, but the transfers are rumored to be excellent.

Also - one of the Amazon reviews alleges that a box set with the pilot, Season 1 & Season 2 will be released later this year. I hope so. It won't stop me from buying Season 2 now, since I've already got Season 1, but lordy if they release the pilot in a box set they'll probably also release it on its own & that would be fantastic.

The funny thing is, I always get confused & think there's a Season 3. I was pretty foggy the first (& to date, only) time I watched the entire series, but I think the thing that gets me all muddled & makes me want to divvy up Season 2 stems from the point where the show starts sucking. Hard. I think it's around the time they veer into that horrible James Hurley subplot, the part where he rides the motorcycle a lot. Probably he's crying while he does it. Sheesh. I never wanted to bitch slap a fictional character more than I did the simpering James. "Fiction's greatest dipwad", indeed.

Anyway: yay! Season 2!

EDIT: Ordered it via Amazon on 5 April 2007. Having just re-watched the first season in honor of this release, I'm mighty excited.

EDIT 2: OMG! It will be here tomorrow just arrived, 9 April, a day early! I've crossed from mighty to ridiculously excited.

EDIT 3: Ummm...transfers are NOT excellent. I've never had any problems with my television set, either sound- or image-wise. Now suddenly, the music is drowning out dialogue & the lipstick of both Lucy & Donna glows a hideous orange. The first season looked & sounded nothing like this. Also: Episode 18 is where it starts sucking. Is it mere coincidence that the episode opens with a shot of James riding his motorcycle? I think not.

No comments: