06 March 2007

File This One Under "Not Mentioning To My Parents"

On the evening of 4 March 2007 as I approached Zupan's to purchase no doubt some sort of fancy schmancy food thing, I saw a police car parked across Belmont Street. Blocking traffic. Closer inspection revealed a yellow "DO NOT CROSS" marker stretched across the street as well.

Obviously, my curiosity was piqued. A brief interwebs search today revealed that a man was shot in a botched robbery attempt at Belmont 34, a little convenience store kitty corner from Zupan's. Not that it's of particular interest to anyone but me, since I live about six blocks from it, but here's the full story. I mean, Portland's a city. Crime happens. I'm sure if I read the news I'd be chock full with knowledge
of all sorts of vile goings on. But, not to sound lofty, Belmont's a great area. I know there are sketchy parts of Portland. Hell, I occasionally feel weird walking around Old Town during the day. But friggin' Belmont? Never even crossed my mind that violent crime happens here. (I'm a bit naive, though. I'm still reeling from the truly disturbing shock of discovering that I in fact live in Ghost World.)

I own a firearm. It looks a lot like that there picture, except mine is more girly. All snub &, frankly, cute. I'm certainly prepared to use it if bodily harm is threatened upon me (hollow points, holla!). But until now, I've operated under the assumption that such would happen only in my home. I've considered getting a concealed weapon permit, mostly as a fleeting thought. After this, though...the notion isn't so momentary.

But for those folks coming to visit me in the near future (& the list keeps growing, to my endless delight...) - don't worry! It'll be fine. Read the story. Clearly an uncommon occurrence for the area. Besides, it smells like flowers in my neighborhood! I'm so serious. It's pretty awesome. I guess it shouldn't be overly surprising, since Stumptown (for some reason, to me the most amusing of Portland's nicknames) is the City of Roses & all. Anyway, spring is going to be fantastic.

No comments: