26 March 2007

A Difficult Decision, Suddenly Simplified

LCD Soundsystem are touring. The nearest they are coming to my fair city is Seattle (jerkfaces). Even worse, they are playing at the Suckbox; a place I've only been to once, but frankly once was enough. Too many stupid Seattle hipsters who are too cool to dance. They are playing on Wednesday 2 May 2007.

Which gave rise to several problems. 1) Seattle is three hours away. 2) I'd have to take time off work & I'm already taking three days off in mid-April. 3) I hate the Showbox. 4) I've already seen them live, so was it really necessary to go to all this trouble? At this point I'd pretty much reached the conclusion that no, James Murphy et al could just play without my presence. Then I discovered something wonderful that let me know beyond a doubt that my decision was entirely correct:


Which comes straight from here. This solves every problem. 1) The Someday Lounge is 10 minutes away. 2) Starts at 7 p.m., which sadly becomes more enticing the older I get. 3) Never been there, but "experimental performance art club" sounds equal parts promising & frightening. Plus, as oft noted here, Portland audiences are super-fun & super-excited at shows. 4) Never seen 'em live.

The winner by a knockout: !!!. This is much less heart-rending than November 2006 when Hot Chip & the Rapture both played in PDX on the same night at different venues (I chose Hot Chip. I'd previously seen the Rapture in Baltimore).

No comments: