05 December 2007

Merry Christmas, Me

Since this evening past I spent more hours devising the following scheme than sleeping, I am generously passing the pain on to you.

I've decided that my Christmas present to myself is going to be finishing up the record room. As my loyal reader may recall, I recently-ish painted the walls up there. And never did the rest of what needed doing. BUT. I am finally utterly fed up at having all of my CDs & records & DVDs in boxes. Even if it's only been a year & a half. SO. Thanks to the miracle of the Christmas bonus, I am going to get my ass in gear & do the following:

(1) Paint the floor! Unfortunately or fortunately, depending, this is absolutely without question the first thing I have to do. It's going to be a fair bit of work, which may or may not involve sanding the whole floor &/or primer, but will definitely involve some serious cleaning, painting & multiple coats of polyurethane. It will probably take me days.

(2) Finalize my media storage plans. I think I have, but it's hard to tell. Last night I stayed up waaaay too late taking measurements & I decided that the record room is clearly the most ridiculous room ever in the history of the world. Check it:

All the height weirdness is due to the fact that nearly every one of the eight walls are angled in totally bizarro ways. To wit:


(3) I figured out that only the right part of wall 1, plus walls 2 (pictured above) & 5, are usable for shelving (I'm putting a table for the record players in front of the windows, eventually). Which means that contrary to my clever notions, only my records are able to be shelved in the record room. I've decided that three of these Expedit bookcases (turned on the side, of course) are going to have to do the trick. Hopefully, I can fit all the records on them. Hopefully.

(4) Since the CDs apparently aren't going in there anymore, they will have to
go in the actual loft, against these walls:


Which are also problematic, as you can see. Ignore the fact that I'm not done painting the loft, either. I'm thinking my best bet here is to go with four of the Benno CD towers in silver (or possibly red, depending on how it compares to the red I will (one day) paint the loft) & keep my fingers crossed that they hold all my CDs. I mean, 180 x 4 = 720, sooo...I hope that's enough. I don't know. I've got boxes & boxes & more boxes of them & I haven't exactly done a thorough count.

(5) And then what of my DVDs?!?! There are far fewer of those than a
nything else, at least. Ultimately I determined that they will simply have to go in the living room. Appearances to the contrary, there actually is an unphotographed angle in my apartment, but they will be going on the wall above & to the right of the buffet:


I'm going to grab six of these Lerberg wall shelves in dark grey; turned vertically, they will hold DVDs. Ideally, I will only need five of them, & then I can put the sixth horizontally on the wall near my stereo, to hold whatever CDs I have in current rotation.

Bleech. The only thing I can do right now are the DVD shelves, because in a matter of hours I will be in hardcore insurance dork mode through Saturday. Luckily, the Sheraton is right near the IKEA, so I'm gonna go pick up the shelves tonight!

No comments: