12 December 2007

Bringing You Down, Down, Down On Your Brazen Knees


I want a boy who will dress up like this for me! I s'pose I'd be willing to forego the socks & shoes (although they are utterly adorable). The sparkly shirt, however, would be non-negotiable.

*Sigh*. My dear Patrick Wolf. I want to make out with your songs. I would enter into matrimony with "Augustine". I would pop out "Accident & Emergency"'s babies like so many ping-pong balls in Asian sex clubs. And my, er, rather derogatory feelings toward marriage & babies both are secrets ill-kept. (Not to digress, but I suppose I feel that those ever so noble social conventions are not negative so much as they're pervasively useless, at least insofar as concerns your humble narrator.)

No joke, The Magic Position is easily one of my favorite albums ever. I haven't so single-mindedly listened to an album since 2000. But of course, it makes complete sense. The album itself is stuffed with joy & gloom in like amounts. It's completely cinematic, my definition of which includes both lushly orchestrated, whirling soundscapes & lyrics laden with imagery. Anyway, I can't explain it any better than I put it in a recent email: The album entire sings in the key of me.

"
And now come the tears, heavy and hot/As it becomes clear, this is all we got/As I hold you to my bed/Like a cancer or a curse/Be my loving nurse/As we fall back into the impossible dream"

"Now deep in a forest/Losing all thought of spring/And nothing can help me remember/And I'm going nowhere fast/A darker day has holed at last/Deep in a dream I set the calmness to spinning"

"'Cause out of all the people I've known/The places I've been/The songs I have sung/The wonders I've seen/Now that the dreams are all coming true/Who is the one that leads me on through/It's you/Who puts me in the magic position, darling now/You put me in the magic position/To live, to learn, to love in the major key"

"We could go to the cinema/
Big effects and big name stars/And we can go to that private view/But darling these days my favorite view is you"

Oh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you had me at Balthazar...


(and Yasujiro Capra's Lost Wonderfalls...)

(see 6/05/06)

April said...

I did see your lovely comment - & I emailed you about it to your university address, which perhaps is no longer in use...(we have met before, you see, on more than one occasion throughout the past several years, lastly in Virginia). If you don't check that email, send me another address (april[dot]roth[at]gmail[dot]com), because it oughtn't vanish into the ether. My words are pure gold, dammit.

And, oh, Balthazar...it makes me ache & sing & everything in between. Of course. A poor way of putting it, but the best I can do without wanking on at length. Loathe as I am to admit it, Godard's succinct bon mot regarding this is spot on.

(Finally, re: the first parenthetical remark: Yes to all four.)