16 October 2007

Sustainable Dildos

It's shocking, isn't it, that Portland is the home of online retailer Earth Erotics, the self-proclaimed "natural food store of adult boutiques"?

And that the fetish section has a subcategory labeled "Eco-Spanking"? Heh.

But my favorite thing is that their environmentally friendly, green sex toys are SO FRIGGIN' CUTE.
It's like X-rated Cute Overload! Look at Patchy Paul II here:



I'll admit that some of them are a little too cutesy for me to imagine actually trying to use them. But still, overall, I must confess that I think some of them are really awesome. Including Patchy Paul II.

Also, the whole concept kind of makes a lot of sense, really - the FDA doesn't regulate stuff like this at all, so unless it says on the package, you've got no way of knowing what it's made of. And just think where you're putting it! PVC is the most popular material for mainstream manufacturers, but according to the Willamette Week,
"For use in sex toys, PVC has to be softened with chemicals called phthalates, which the European Union has already banned from children’s toys. Phthalates have been linked to a laundry list of health problems, from obesity to kidney disease to abnormal estrogen production and prenatal genital development". Sheesh.

I think I'll go green.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shit girl, we need to talk. I have the purple one. Had to resist the dolphin one, but size matters...

Aunt Agatha said...

I'm so glad to see that someone is taking the field seriously.

Have you seen the Oh Mi Bod vibrator by Apple? It looks like a tampon. Or else it's a joke. Not really sure.

I must show this site to my friends.