18 October 2007

I'm Not There

There is a lovely, lovely long article in the NYT Magazine's 7 October edition on Todd Haynes & his new film, called "This is Not a Bob Dylan Movie". Rather informative. Admittedly, I'm not exactly a Bob Dylan fan, but I'm not a hater either; I simply have had neither occasion nor impetus to seek his work out. All right, it is true that his voice kinda bugs me; but if somebody sat me down & said "You must listen to this", I most likely would.

Todd Haynes, however, is simply the greatest living American narrative filmmaker. End of sentence period. (Although it does bear mention that he is also the most truly avant garde narrative filmmaker in the U.S. - but this digression belongs in a worthier setting than I can provide at the moment.) So yes, I will be going to see I'm Not There on opening night. I will fork over my $10 or however much an evening show at a first-run theater costs nowadays.

Read the article. But really, if images such as these two do not foster immediate infatuation with this film's potential, then...well, I don't know. I don't have anything to say to you.

No comments: