15 October 2007

I Love The Laurelhurst

It is one of the joys of my life that the Laurelhurst Theater is a five-minute walk from my apartment.

$9 at any other movie theater might, just might, cover the price of admission.

$9 at the Laurelhurst buys me admission and a pitcher of PBR.

Plus an audience that gets as rowdy as I apparently
do after drinking some beer. An audience that cheers when good things happen. An audience that will (thankfully) laugh rather than shush me when I get saucy & yell "Damn straight, fuckwad!" at the screen. An audience that, as both my friends ChrisAnn & Heather have pointed out, is a lot like us. It's disconcerting, to be sure, but you know what? It's also fun. Because this audience knows exactly when Johnny Castle walks up to the Housemans' table & says "Nobody puts Baby in the corner", & you know that they know it because you all say it as it happens. And erupt in shouts & applause.


Anyway, go see The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It's really fun. What's it about? The world of competitive "Donkey Kong". Billy vs. Steve, & only one is the fuckwad of note. Go see it at the Laurelhurst if you can; if not, rent it when it comes out on video. I recommend getting some beer & some people who are like you, & will cheer when good things happen, & don't mind so much when you hurl obscenities at the bad guy.

And this weekend, they're showing Peter Jackson's Dead Alive! I will be there. If you've not seen it, it's...wonderful. I rented it as a teenager in Scio thinking it was going to be "scary". Ha!

No comments: