17 May 2007

FYI: Buying DVDs From Netflix

At last, Netflix has offered some used titles for sale that I actually want to own. The $5.99 price tag has been tempting, but as I am generally not seduced by straight-to-video comedies starring Mo'Nique or lurid horror movies (unless they feature Kate Hudson in an infinite variety of t-shirt & boy-shorts ensembles), I have heretofore resisted the lure with not a great deal of difficulty.

However: when I saw Grizzly Man for sale, I wanted it. My love affair with Werner Herzog has been well-documented, & if you haven't already seen this movie, well, I can't help you. Stop reading this. I don't want to talk to you. Anyway. Here's what happened:

(1) On 4 May, I clicked the "Buy" button for Grizzly Man.
(2) Netflix sent me an email nearly immediately confirming my order & got their $5.99 using the method by which I pay my monthly rental fee.
(3) They sent another email when they shipped it on 7 May.
(4) I received it on 8 May.

As for the disc - honestly, I'm deep in the throes of a knitting obsession (I know!) & haven't put anything in my DVD player that I actually want to watch, mostly because I can't walk & chew gum at the same time, if you get my drift. So it's pretty much been Harry Potter time at my house. Harry Potter is awesome to knit to. The Big Lebowski may be even better. Anyway, yeah, the disc looks used. But not terrible. The DVD artwork is not entirely inserted into the DVD case, but I can fix that. And $5.99, free shipping, & complete & utter ease of ordering - literally clicked on one button - makes it totally worth it.

In fact, about two days after I received Grizzly Man, I ordered Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man. Same process, same satisfaction, even better-looking disc. & - bonus - artwork solidly in place within the case.

Conclusion? They couldn't make it any easier. Or, hell, cheaper. Thus far, I'm a fan.

No comments: