05 February 2007

There Will Be No Boogers in the NYT

The Colts' Bob Sanders intercepting a pass. This picture reminds me of a commercial often shown during football games, which posits that "some things just aren't meant to go together", using a football musical as its example. I would totally go see a football musical. Good lord! That would be so, so fantastic.

I WON!!! I WON!!! Colts won the Superbowl!!! Hee hee. Although not as thrilling as the AFC championship game, this too was a damn good game. Admittedly I felt a bit dejected after Hester (whythefuckwouldyoukicktoHester,Vinatieri?!?!?) took the opening kick all the way down for a touchdown. But things evened out - the pouring rain was a great unifier - & the game had a close score nearly throughout its entirety. Personally, though I know the Peyton Manning MVP win was a gimme, I thought Joseph Addai &/or Dominic Rhodes would have been more worthy. Although, really, as one article I read put it, this truly was a team effort. (Gag, choke.) I mean, seriously, the Colts defense? I remember during the regular season, it took four of 'em to drag down one dude. And when they actually did it, they were all as excited as any college freshman. I don't know what happened, but the fact is that their performance in every single playoff game was simply stellar, & did not slack off in the bowl.

Speaking of defense - somehow, it was during yesterday's opening Colts defense roll call that I discovered there is a Colts member who willingly allows others to call him "Booger"...Booger McFarland, that is. He is a defensive tackle. I can't say as for cert
ain, but I'm guessing that means his job is to hit people. Anyway, it appears the New York Times ain't down with the Booger love. In their picture showing his sack of Rex Grossman (I maintain that Grossman slipped of his own accord), he is named only as "Anthony McFarland". C'mon guys. You gotta give the Boogs some respect.

Although I rather meanly said last night that Rex Grossman was now my second-favorite quarterback (after he slipped & fell twice in a row), he actually did a decent job. I just think that, all things being more or less equal, a lot of it came down to QB experience. Manning has it in spades. Grossman doesn't.


And, push come to shove, although everybody was sloppy as shit out there, the Colts were just a little less sloppy.

But let the good sportsmanship not detract from this simple fact: COLTS WON THE
SUPERBOWL!!!!!!! Hell yeah.

Also, if you ever wondered, as I did lo! just last night, whatever happens to the lo
ser's "Superbowl Champions" t-shirts, well, here ya go.

And finally, one of my own personal favorite-things-about-football, amply illustrated - the post-game man-love:Sigh. It's so...sweet.

No comments: