26 February 2007

Can You Say "Gimme"?

Okay, so three famous friends of Martin Scorsese - George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola - were the presenters of the Best Director Academy Award last night...and you're tellin' me the winners are a secret? Bitch, please. I am glad that Scorsese finally won, though I hardly number among his acolytes, if only because now people can no longer whine incessantly about it. The Last Temptation of Christ & Goodfellas are about the only films of his I can stomach. Though, yes, I have been intending to watch The Departed.

On an unrelated note, although the German cinephile in me is pleased as punch that The Lives of Others won Best Foreign Language Film, the me in me is totally bummed that Pan's Labyrinth didn't get it. But, per my earlier wish, Guillermo Navarro got Best Cinematography! Sweet.

Mind, I didn't actually watch the Oscars. Given the paucity of contemporary film in my viewing selections of recent years (although said dearth has been recently somewhat allayed by more frequent trips to the cinema & borrowing from my mother DVDs such as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants & Hidalgo, which somehow are the wrong kind of cheesy to allow inclusion in my Netflix queue, but obviously I secretly want to watch anyway), I generally haven't seen/have no interest in seeing much of anything that's been nominated. That said, I was mildly interested in witnessing this year's telecast; but as I spent Sunday cooking up a storm & tending to the hungover person on my futon, I clean forgot.

Still, somehow I don't think I missed much.

No comments: