01 February 2007

SuperPop? Super Disco? Supercool.

Los Amigos Invisibles make some of the funnest spacedancepop ever. I am still quite sore that I somehow managed to miss their performance in Charlottesville. And that was like four years ago. But now, finally, thanks to the magic that is the cross-country move, I will once again have the opportunity to see them, on their (nearly exclusively West Coast, sorry) tour. Full list of cities here. And the Aladdin Theater is only 2 miles away from me, hurrah! (I also suspect I will be rubbing it hard at the Badly Drawn Boy show at the same venue on 25 March.)

I'm kind of ridiculously pumped for this. I'm of a like mind about their (apparently Grammy-nominated) last album, SuperPop Venezuela, which was released mid-Septemb
er 2006. Given that at that time I was having trailer hitches installed, packing, cleaning/emptying house, trying to finish up work stuff & generally experiencing levels of stress previously unknown to me, it's little wonder its release went unnoticed by me; but fear not! First thing Monday evening I'm gonna pop over to Music Millennium on Burnside & buy this puppy like it's on fire. Really, how could it not be? The Amigos cover their favorite Venezuelan pop songs on this album, with production by my revered discohouse god Dimitri from Paris. I refuse to even entertain the notion that this could possibly be anything less than fabulous.

And, egads! Somehow I missed another certain-to-be-fantastic thing - Dimitri from Paris & DJ Muro's Super Disco Friends, which was released in April 2006, thereby providing me no excuse whatsoever for not already having it. All right, there's two CDs I'll be buying come payday.

Frankly, this is all way more super than any ol' bowl could ever dream of being.

No comments: