14 November 2007

Curry, Knitting & the Infected

No single theme for me today!

1) Pho Van is fantastic. I'm only sad that I'd never previously dine
d there. Delicious & no more than a hop, skip & jump (meaning ~12 blocks) away! I got the vegetarian curry, & while I was sorely disappointed that the sugar snap peas described on the menu were lacking, there was a surprise bonus of those tiny ears of corn!, which I can't help but find adorably cute, as recompense.

2) Xavier the Bitey Bastard decided Monday night that the tip of one of my #7 bamboo knitting needles would make a tasty treat. So I trotted over to
the Yarn Garden last night - luckily, I needed some cotton yarn anyway - for a new pair. But what I found instead were these:


Which you can find here. Honestly, I didn't really need light-up knitting needles, but (1) they are awesome & make me happy & (2) Le Garden was fresh out of wooden #7 needles, & if I have to knit with plastic, they'd damn well better light up. The #7s come in blue. Knit one, lite one, indeed!

3) At some point between 1996 & 2002, Danny Boyle became a fantastic filmmaker, at least based on 28 Days Later, which I finally watched. I mean, yeah, I liked Shallow Grave & Trainspotting enough to actually sit through A Life Less Ordinary (which caused me to avoid Boyle for well-nigh a decade) but they always seemed kind of...gimmicky. He exhibited unrestrained visual flair within equally flamboyant narratives featuring caricatured characters, which honestly just gets somewhat tiring to watch. But with 28 Days Later, he really got it right. He astonished me with beautiful imagery (no doubt partially attributable to cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle). He did something I thought was impossible - made me find digital video not just passable, not merely acceptable, but actually & truly lovely. It's got to be the most visually stimulating, gorgeous horror movie I've ever seen. It's one of the most gorgeous movies, period, that I've seen in a good while. And on top of that, he managed to find the hearts of his characters. And on top of that, he made a movie that's scary. The last third or so gets a bit heavy-handed & obvious, & its metaphors start to weigh it down into tedium territory, but let's just blame screenwriter Alex Garland for that.


4) All right, it's time to admit it: Cillian Murphy is my latest movie star crush. It's taken me a long time to get to this point, because he's simply nothing like the people I tend to crush on. He's boyish yet somehow feminine with good bone structure, for heaven's sake. However, he did tell Jane magazine that the celebrity he'd like to make out with is Maggie Gyllenhaal. So at least we've got the same taste in girls. Also, he does have a few things that tend to be themes for me: (1) Voice. Anything with an accent gets an automatic cuteness boost. (1.a) Name. Fantastic first name, both written & spoken. (2) Eyes. His face is full of his eyes, & they are limpid pools of cerulean luminosity. (3) Demeanor. This is where I get weird. It's important to understand that my first-ever movie crush, at the age of eight, was David Bowie in Labyrinth. Technically, if you think babies are better than Goblin Kings with rockin' hair & tight pants, he was the bad guy. The first movie I ever saw Cillian Murphy in was Batman Begins. The second was Red Eye. He plays psychopaths in both. But apparently I go for that weird, not-nice thing. After David Bowie, there was John Malkovich as Valmont from Dangerous Liaisons, then David Thewlis as Johnny in Mike Leigh's brilliant Naked. (And if you've seen it, you'll know just how completely fucked up it is to crush on Johnny.) You can see where this is going. The point is, Cillian Murphy is beautiful & frequently dangerous, & this is a potent combination. I might add that I am now thoroughly excited about Neil Jordan's Breakfast on Pluto. Murphy playing a cabaret singer in girl's clothes named "Kitten"? Yes, please.

But, y'know, there's a chance that maybe, just maybe, I have some sort of deep-rooted unconscious issues at work here:

3 comments:

mandy said...

Ha ha -- light-up needles.

Wait, am I reading this wrong? Have you not seen Breakfast on Pluto?? I feel like the only reason I popped that sucker in my queue was because of you. Or maybe you're excited for another viewing. I loved it, but I will say this: where Murphy's voice is otherwise always wonderful, his slight falsetto is kinda lame. I wished he woulda just talked normal. But yeah, I loved it. Have you seen The Wind That Shakes the Barley? I won't say much about it other than Murphy is *amazing* in it. Oh, but his crazy scarecrow thing from Batman Begins still scares the shit out of me. And now I'm curious about Red Ivy.

It's weird because I don't think Tom Welling is handsome at all, and yet I think he and Cillian look a lot alike. Weird.

April said...

No, I haven't seen Breakfast. I've found I enjoy Jordan's pre-Crying Game work more than post. Especially High Spirits. Ha, just kidding, but I do recommend The Company of Wolves. Which reminds me that I really ought to watch it again.

I've never seen a Ken Loach film, & frankly I expect I never will. Just reading the plot synopses is enough to make me want to curl up in a corner whimpering softly. I don't mind politically-oriented Brit films, but I want a heaping spoonful of the fantastical &/or allegorical to make the medicine go down (i.e., Derek Jarman, Peter Greenaway). Depressing realistic movies about unemployed thick-accented folk or gross miscarriages of justice ain't my bag.

Red Eye is actually a really excellent B-movie directed by Wes Craven. It's not exactly thought-provoking but it's completely fun & surprisingly clever.

I have not seen this Tom Welling character move, but I think you are wrong. That dude has beady little eyes & a dorky smile. You're blinded by the hair, which is similar. Although Mr. Welling's mane is rather greasy-looking, in contrast to Mr. Murphy's thick, shiny locks.

There can be only one!

Aunt Agatha said...

Oh leave poor Tom Welling alone. He's Clark Kent! Way too old and beefy, but still...

Red Eye was awesome, and he scared the shit out of me in Batman. The best Batman movie in spite of Katie Holmes.

I'm adding Breakfast and Naked to my queue. I've been meaning to see Naked for over a year, and kept forgetting to add it.