02 June 2008

That's A Relief

"I don't care about anybody else."

That's not entirely true; but!
on Saturday I was talking with somebody, & somehow the subject of organic food came up. I mentioned that recently I had switched to eating almost exclusively organic produce, since I'm a lucky enough bastard to be in a position to afford it & it has become important to me. The person was pretty strongly against organic food, because organic food companies oppose feeding starving people GMOs or something? I don't know. I didn't care. In fact, his diatribe prompted that six-word gem quoted above.

Although it was said largely in the interest of ending a conversation for which I cared not, I'd like to think this negates my hippie-dippie "ecological footprint" moment (see previous post). Understand, it's not the sentiment behind the thought; hey, I wipe my ass with recycled toilet paper & clean my toilet with "eco-friendly" products. It's more the very naturalness of the thought; the way it suddenly just tumbled uninvited into my mind, stood up, dusted itself off & asked me to make it a cocktail.

In short, I'd like to think that the latter statement smacked the former in the face. Just for the sake of perspective. Because I am currently living in abject terror of attaining "unbearably sanctimonious" status.* Fight the power!

*This could happen sooner than you think. Recently I was getting a cup of tea when I saw my boss throw an empty tea box into the trash. Without thinking (it seems I should give this "thinking" thing a try sometime!), I instantly barked, "[Name], NO! Recycle!" Yep. Because it's always a great idea to start the morning by yelling at your boss.

1 comment:

Trish said...

"I don't care about anybody else."

I can just hear you saying this. Miss you! *tear*