31 July 2007

Prime Time of Your Life, Indeed

Daft Punk. ROCKS. Oh my god. So totally amazing. Obviously, the English language cannot do justice to the awesomeness of this show. I will explain the state I was in upon my arrival, so that you might understand the obstacles this show had to overcome to reach the pantheon of best shows ever:

1) I had slept about 12 hours total during the four days prior to the show. The weekend had been spent in delightful debauchery of the sort that usually demands you sleep the moment you return home.

2) I woke up in Pennsylvania at 5:30 a.m. EST (2:30 a.m. PST) on Sunday. I caught a flight at Newark at 9:00 a.m. Which sat on the tarmac for 90 minutes before take-off.
3) The plane landed at 12:30 p.m. PST. Taking the MAX & the bus b
ack, I didn't arrive home until 2 p.m.
4) Departed Portland for Seattle at 3 p.m in my car. Due to traffic, did not arrive until 7:30. The show started at 8.
5) Briefly hung out. Went to show. Got back to my friends' place at 12:30 a.m. Considered going to the after-party, but nobody had the energy.


After traveling for over 15 hours, I think it safe to say that my exp
ectations were quite high. EXPECTATIONS EXCEEDED, people.

But we missed the Rapture! Because we didn't get there until 9:45. Which was sad. But not unbearably so, as I've seen them already. Besides which, oh my word, the LIGHTS, people, the LIGHTS. It was utterly fantastic & so very beautiful. I mean, look at this:


Or this or this or this:



I really liked the way they played...they didn't just do "songs". Everything was kind of mixed up & jumbled into each other & they would do bits of songs more than once, so you would hear things like three times. I think my personal favorite was "Around the World" mashed up with "Harder Better Faster Stronger". The lights did these awesome rainbow things during that part too, which was amazing. I REALLY REALLY hope they put this tour on DVD a la Underworld's Everything Everything; it fucking RULED. I can't explain it very well but in tandem with the pics this should give a decent idea, so here goes: in the back of the stage, there was this big light screen that did dots of light. They would make words with it, or have moving little lights & stuff. Then, on either side of the stage, there were these kind of cage-like structures & they were like light rods or something & the lights would pulse or flash or move along on the lines. In the middle of the stage there was a pyramid that also flashed lights or showed images...Daft Punk stood in the middle of the pyramid in their robot suits. There was a pyramid outline behind that which also flashed & did crazy light stuff. Then there were the spotlights, of course. It was so insane that several times I just stopped dancing & stared at the lights, mesmerized.

And for the encore...oh my word, the robot suits lit up Tron-style! And they did "One More Time", well, one more time & the back screen & the pyramid did circles of orange lights. These pictures don't do it justice, but you get the idea:



It was so ridiculously incredible. I feel massively fortunate that I was able to witness this. I mean, they only did five shows in the States. I kinda understand why - it must be a massive ordeal to install all that stuff. Whoo hoo!

2 comments:

Aunt Agatha said...

I am so envious. Wow. It sounds like it was fantastic. And I admire your stamina!

mandy said...

Your pics are fucking amazing. I'm so glad it was a good time.