20 June 2007

New Bathrooms!

My bathrooms. There's only one toilet. There's only one bathtub. They're just in different rooms. I refer to them as the WC & the bathroom.

Anyway, I realized it'd been a couple months since I painted anything. Long enough for the stinging tediousness to have faded to a dull sheen. So I decided to finish up the downstairs & paint the bathrooms. I'd chosen the colors a long time ago; it was mostly a matter of having the extra money to spend on it. (How I can make a decent income, with only myself on which to spend it, & still be constantly broke, is one of my life's mysteries.) Anyway. On to the story!

Here is the bathroom before:


Now, I love blue. In fact, I intend to paint my record room a lovely sky
blue & then sponge clouds on it (shut up. It will be classy). But this...this is grotesque. The worst part is, it's actually TWO nasty shades of blue. To wit:


Et voila!:


It definitely photographs very, very oddly. If I don't use a flash, it's too orange. If I use the flash, it's too pink. Slow synchro seems to work the best, but it's a little too bright. Heh. The funny part is, I actually really like this, but at night, it seems as bright as the first picture. With daylight, it calms down a bit, like the below picture. Both were, for the record, taken at around the same time.

It's definitely somewhat disconcerting to stand in the living room & look at the kitchen & the WC simultaneously. The kitchen is done in such cool colors, & these are so hot, but with the Olive Tree of the living room in between them, it works. For the record, I used Ralph Lauren Vintage Masters in Gertrude, Pink Sunset & Olive Tree with a satin finish (yuck. I HATE shiny finishes, but the paint guys told me you have to use 'em in bathrooms). There were two nice things about this round of painting: one, painting bathrooms is not nearly so inconvenient to the flow of daily life as painting the living room & the kitchen were; & two, at this point I've painted enough that I can chill out about it & not get super-stressed.

But the bestest part of all? I finally got to put Tom where he belongs:


In the WC, facing the toilet. Aaahhh...a little something is right with the world once more.

No comments: