06 May 2008

Hurrah!

These are some things that I particularly love today:

1) Peppermint tea

2) The Criterion transfer of Naked. It even looks good on my old TV set.

3) Dinosaur L (I said NO, thank yooouuuu....)

4) Mmmmmangoes!

5) Feelin' like a fourth grader. Yep, in my quest to prove that April Model 1978 is in fact completely obsolete, my newest fascination is book making.
See, it occurred to me recently that at present I seem to be drawn toward the tactile. Rather than subvert these fascinations into something more ephemeral, I thought well why not just make things I can touch? I ain't a writer, & my drawing skillz are stuck in stick-figure land (tho' it be a mean stick figure indeed), but I see no reason whatsoever to let that stop me. I made a book last night! With velcro & wiggly eyes & o-rings & junk mail! (I successfully fought the urge to add glitter.) Here's a small detail of one page:


As usual, my grand plans exceed my technical capability by a wide margin. Sheesh. We'll see. You don't know how much I want to catch one of these flitting momentary obsessions & pin it down, already. How is it possible that the older I get, the less attention span I have?

6) Portland Maps. I often bemoan the fact that everybody in my neighborhood looks like me. What do I mean by this? While Buckman ain't quite an army of April clones, it is a 739-acre area with 7,923 people who:

  • Are most likely between the ages of 22 & 39 (52%)
  • Are whiter than an arctic glacier on a sunny day (81%)
  • Have yet to breed &/or are not overly keen on cohabitation (52% one-person households)
  • Got no strings to hold them down (84% are not home-owners)
  • Stand a solid chance of being male (52%) or female (48%)

I am a 29-year-old child-free white girl who lives alone in a rented apartment. Thanks, Portland Maps, for proving me right!

7) Spring. Not this spring, this year, this here. But in general. And SUNSHINE. Glorious rich yellow sunshine that is both absorbed & reflected by the green of the trees & the grass.

8) Making the soundtrack for the wedding I will never have. See, it all started with Kid Creole's version of "If You Want to be Happy". If you don't know the song, click the link. You'll understand. The vision of playing this as the first song at my unwedding made me gigle giggle (no semiconductor, I) madly for endless minutes (the looks on people's faces would be freakin' priceless), so I thought, why stop there? This project is saving me from an increasingly bilious resentment toward other people's weddings; therefore, it makes me happy.

9) And actually, I kind of love everything. Probably in theory - I wouldn't test me with, say, a puddle of puppies or a basket of babies. But I am, how you say, a happy camper.

8 comments:

mandy said...

I was thinking They Might Be Giants' "Lucky Ball & Chain" could be a good addition to your unwedding soundtrack. Thought it's maybe more anti- than un-, I thought it went with the more silly/fun idea.

Also, I already checked your Flickr -- No book pics! I want to see more pictures of it. I bet they exist.

April said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can't scrounge up a copy. There are more anti-s than un-s in the world anyway.

You know me too well. Of course they exist. They're private b/c the book is NOT GOOD. I wasn't joking about the fourth-grade thing. Shit, I couldn't even make a successful accordion book last night. And I broke the reservoir on my new calligraphic dip pen before I even touched pen to paper.

I'll make the pics available to friends on my Flickr though. Just for you.

Unknown said...

1.Today that I got the island home so I am a happy camper as well. We should talk later and be all gushy and annoyingly giggly.

2.Make books!!!! I could totally see you doing collage books that would be beautiful. I may even be inspired to do the same.

3.I know that song and as I sat here singing along with the lyrics in my head I thought, "Where do I know this so well from?". Then I realized, "The Avalanches!". Your wedding would so have to be on the beach.

April said...

Re: 1. That is officially FANTABULOUS. Congratulations! Yes, we should talk. I've been meaning to call, but have been burnishing paper with a bone folder (I think that needs to be a euphemism).

Re: 2. I'm workin' on it!

Re: 3. The Avalanches sampled Kid Creole's "Stool Pigeon", but I don't think they used this one too. I DID put "If You Want..." on a mix tape I made many moons ago called "Ladylicious Flavors". The cover had Samantha Fox's cut-off-shorted ass on a pink background. Side A was called "S-E-X =" & Side B was "L-U-V ?" I gave you a copy in New Orleans in 2004.

April said...

Also, my wedding would be in the ocean. The Pacific Ocean. More specifically, the Mariana Trench. Because I will be sleeping with the fishes before I consider marriage.

But seriously...if I could have my wedding where the glow-y fish things from Blue Planet's "The Deep" live...& if David Attenborough officiated...& if I got to play my mix CD at the reception...I would TOTALLY get married.

It could happen.

mandy said...

I'll make the pics available to friends on my Flickr though. Just for you.

Huzzah!

Also, if you have your unwedding in the Mariana Trench, you're definitely playing "Underwater Dance Club" at the reception. And I'm gonna wear my Hollywood shirt (<-- when I actually get a Hollywood shirt...).

April said...

Brilliant. YES. We will also play Mr. Scruff's "Shanty". And I will sport my t-shirt that says "I Let the Dogs Out" in sparkly green letters across the chest. (I actually do have one - purchased circa 2002 at Rugged Wearhouse - never worn - lives in a metaphorical time capsule.) Everybody will be required to wear platform shoes with fishies in the heels. Ref:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0C9vwUGME

And the invitations would quote Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise:
"You see, Francois, marriage is a beautiful mistake that two people make together. But with you, Francois, I think it would be a mistake."

It would be the most fantastic unwedding of all time.

Unknown said...

Yes, I did have it on that tape- that is correct. Additionally, The Avalanches sampled it in a random live mix that was downloaded from somewhere...