02 January 2007

Pan's Labyrinth


Pan's Labyrinth is the first movie I've been dying to see in ages, based solely on these two images. Okay, I couldn't help but read the first sentence of A.O. Scott's review so I know it's set in 1944 Spain. And I do kinda dig Guillermo del Toro's films. But beyond that, I know nothing. It could be a giant crapwad. Most people, myself among them, probably hope to find an hour or two of precious leisure time spent on a movie to be rather fantastic, or at least enjoyable. But even if I don't necessarily embrace the whole hog, I admire narrative movies that try to show the audience something different than that they would usually find (i.e., The Science of Sleep; Marie Antoinette). So I'm generally game to see 'em. And you never know - the next one could bloody well be a masterpiece. Besides, I've been a sucker for facial features on hands ever since I saw Jean Cocteau's Blood of a Poet.

So, when Pan's Labyrinth shows up in Portland, you can bet I'll be there. Maybe even on opening weekend (egads!). It looks to be, if nothing else, a feast for the eyes. And it's a fairy tale! Kind of! I think!

EDIT: Ooh, ooh, ooh! It's playing at Cinema 21 from 19 January through 1 February. Plus a bonus - David Lynch's new one is playing the week before. I'm giddy as a schoolgirl.

No comments: